Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Pandan Chiffon Cake

I've always loved to eat Pandan chiffon cake since I was little, so fluffy, so light, so airy. In other words, you don't really feel guilty eating a couple of slices haha... Before venturing into baking this chiffon cake, I've always thought it as a daunting task. Searching for recipes is one thing, but actually baking the cake is another ball game altogether!

After baking a few chiffon cakes, I've found chiffon cakes to be the most challenging bakes of all time. You have to be so gentle when making this cake, the beating of the egg whites till stiff peaks, folding the whites into the yolks mixture, taking care not to burst the bubbles you have worked so hard in beating. Whites cannot be overbeaten, the whisks and bowl that you whisk has to be clean and grease free, otherwise you will never achieve stiff peaks.

I've had my fair share of disasters in making chiffon cakes, but this one turned out perfect. James loves to eat this too, so normally when I buy a packet of coconut milk, I can make it on 2 occasions.

Stiff peaks


Pandan Chiffon Cake recipe (18cm)

from here

Ingredients:

Batter A :

3 egg yolks

40 gm castor sugar

75 gm self raising flour, sifted

1 tbsp olive oil

100 ml coconut milk

1 tsp pandan paste


Batter B :

3 egg whites

40 gm sugar

1/2 tsp cream of tartar

Method :

1. Whisk egg yolks with sugar till creamy. Then add in olive oil, coconut milk and pandan paste. Mixed well and fold in the flour. Set aside.

2. Whisk egg white with sugar and cream of tartar till stiff.

3. Fold in egg yolks batter into the egg whites batter. Mixed well and pour into a chiffon cake pan. ( I used a 18 cm pan )

4. Bake at 180 DC for 40 minutes. Invert the cake pan over a cooling rack and let it cool completely. Once cooled use a sharp knife to separate the chiffon cake from the cake pan.

8 comments:

Adrine said...

A Perfect cake !!! I've never dared to bake chiffon cakes cos they are so delicate. (u know me... i prefer fool proof recipes!)

I haven't baked for a loooong time tho. Think I'll start again this weekend. btw, where did buy the brown muffin cases for your mango oat muffins? The only brown ones I could find was at Daiso at RM5 for 10 pieces. RM0.50 for 1 case just seems too pricey!

Fussy mum said...

Kristie, your chiffon is perfect! I tried once many yrs ago and haih..it was a disaster :( So thereafter I never tried chiffon again. I wonder my cakepan has turned rusty or not?...hehe Shall I try it again?? *thinking*

Kristie said...

Thanks Adrine! Yes, so far I realised that chiffon cakes are the hardest to bake, and the funny thing is, everytime u bake the same recipe, somehow something will turn out different, so funny right?

Fussy mum, yes u should!!!!! :)

Kristie said...

Adrine, the brown muffin cups are from baking supply stores.

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

I love pandan chiffon cake too.

Yours one really looked so good. Can I have a share of it. Hehe.

Yeap, it is not easy to beat the egg white till form the stiff peak. I have tried once but failed.

Kristie said...

Joanne, my hubby loves this too!

Sure u can have a slice, let me know when u pop over here :)

Yes chiffon cakes are pretty hard to make :) but practise makes perfect!

HN said...

Your chiffon cake looks so perfect!!!! I have tried once, totally out of shape :P

Kristie said...

HN, u can try again, it's not easy, but it's not impossible too :) thanks dear & good luck!