Monday, August 17, 2009

Mango Oat & Orange Poppyseed Muffins

Saw this basic recipe for Banana Oat Muffins and since it sounded so healthy, I ought to give it a try :) Since I had no ripen bananas in my kitchen, I did have a really ripe mango my hubby's friend gave. So in goes the mango into my muffin recipe :)

You have heard of the combo of lemon & poppyseeds or orange & poppyseeds, but have you heard of mango with poppyseeds? I honestly have not. Well, I altered the recipe accordingly to try out this new flavour! I must say that some fruits are better eaten fresh, like mango for instance. You can taste a hint of mango flavour in the muffins, but you can't taste the pungent mango flavour like you would if you ate it fresh :)





Recipe for Mango Oat & Orange Poppyseed Muffins
Ingredients:
(makes 12 standard sized muffins, I used bigger cups as above and got 6 muffins)

120g plain flour
94g oat bran (I used rolled oats)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 box (net wt. 42.5g) Sun.Maid raisins (I did not use raisins in this recipe)
1 egg, lightly beaten
100g sugar
1/4 cup oil
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
3 medium sized bananas, mashed (I used mashed mangoes for Mango oat muffins and orange paste + poppy seeds for Orange poppyseed muffins instead)
1 ripe mango
1 tblsp poppyseeds
1 tsp orange paste


Method:
1. Mix flour, oat bran, baking powder, baking soda and raisins in a bowl.
2. Combine egg, sugar, oil, vanilla essence and mashed bananas in another bowl.
3. Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture. Stir until just blended.
4. Fill muffin cups/liners till almost full. Bake in preheated oven at 200 degC for 20 to 25 mins.

This recipe is adapted from "The 250 Best Muffin Recipes, by Esther Brody".

4 comments:

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

May I know what is poppyseed?

Kristie said...

Joanne, u can see from my pictures of the muffins, those little black
dots are poppy seeds :)

u can read more abt it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poppy_seed

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

Yeap, the little black dots have added a very interesting colour to the muffins.

I will take a look at the info about poppy seeds. Thanks!

May I know from where I can buy it?

Kristie said...

Yes Joanne, it adds a lovely crunch to the muffins too.

U can get it from most baking supplies shop, u are welcome!