Monday, August 17, 2009

Homemade Tang Yuan soup



I've always loved tang yuans since young. I remembered my grandma used to make this during the festival and we always had 2 colours- white & pink, of cos the latter is my favourite :) I love the smell of the dough too when we were all rolling the balls together, those were the times, excellent memories embedded in my heart :) The chewy texture of the balls are to die for! It can be plain balls or can be filled with black sesame paste/red bean/peanuts etc. For this recipe, I made them plain, but with a variety of colours! :)



Recipe for Tang Yuan Soup

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cup glutinous rice flour
2 sweet potatoes, cubed
1 tblsp barley
1 pc. gula melaka (cylinder shaped)
Few slices of ginger
Food colourings- green, blue, pink (optional)
1 tsp pandan essence
Water

Method:

1. Boil sweet potatoes, ginger slices & barley in a pot of boiling water till soft
2. Add pandan essence & gula melaka and continue to simmer on low fire
3. Mix flour with enough water and use hands to form a soft dough, or till it doesn't stick to the sides of the bowl. Don't add too much at once, at a little at a time
4. Divide dough into 4 portions
5. Use toothpick to dab colourings onto the dough, a little goes a long way (see picture above)
6. Mix colouring into dough till desired colours achieved.
7. In a separate pot of boiling water, roll dough into balls and drop them in.
8. Once they float up, dish them into the 1st pot with all other ingredients.
9. Let all the tang yuans simmer for a while to allow all flavours to mingle.
10. Serve hot!
This makes a lovely dessert, easy and quick to make!

4 comments:

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

Very colourful tang yuan. I like it. How you managed to make the colours goes so nice and even...

For me, I am not a big fans of Tang Yuan.

This is the first time I see Tang Yuan soup with barley and sweet potato. Nice!

Kristie said...

Thanks Joanne! Yes, I purposely made them so colourful :) Once u added the colouring, u have to knead into dough till it's evenly mixed :)

Yes, this is my own version of tan yuan soup, very healthy :)

MeRy said...

I just make tang yuan yesterday...just craving for it. I dun like white colour tang yuang...prefer colourful one. Nextime I will try tang yuan with peanut soup...shld be nice too.

Kristie said...

Yes Mery, i love colourful tang yuans too :)