Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Pan-fried Red Bean Bun

Pan fried red bean bun, also known as Hakka cheen loong bao is an old-fashioned traditional chinese dessert. It is usually wrapped with roasted groundnuts or red beans paste. It's actually very easy to make.

I added matcha to the dough as I thought it would be a nice complement to the red bean paste! The colour turned out well and was pleasant to the eyes and tastebuds.







Recipe from here

Filling

200g red bean paste, I used the one that I made (shape into balls)

Skin:

200g low protein flour (cake flour) (I used cake flour)
1/2 tsp baking powder(dissolved in a little water)
1 1/2 tsp instant yeast
15g caster sugar
30g shortening or butter, (I used butter)
100-150ml water
2 tsp matcha (green tea powder)

1. Sieve flour and set aside
2. Pour in the baking powder,instant yeast,sugar, matcha and shortening in the flour, mix well
3. Pour the water in a gentle stream
4. Slowly work to form a non-sticky soft dough.
5. Leave the dough in a clean bowl to proof for 1-2 hours
6. Scale the risen dough at 40g portions and shape into balls
7. Flatten each ball of dough and wrap the filling in and seal
8. Leave the flattened buns on a tray and wrap with a wrapping paper and proof a second time for 30 or until double in size
9. Arrange buns in a flat frying pan and pan fry it over low heat without OIL till both sides are golden brown
10. It takes about 10-15 minutes.

Makes 8

Serve hot.

Tips:Dissolve the baking powder in water to prevent the dough becomes yellowish. I didn't have to worry about this as I used matcha powder.

Both of us walloped most of it that night :p It tasted extremely good especially when the red bean paste was self-made. But nonetheless, it would taste good with ready bought red bean paste too!

6 comments:

MeRy said...

Yummy....

Kristie said...

thanks mery!

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

Wah....pan fried method in making a dessert. Nice! I like it.

Kristie said...

Yes Joanne, it's healthier and less messy too, NO OIL! :)

ChloeRuoyi said...

Oh I absolutely love this. Not easy to find them though, unless we go to those kampung areas.

I really enjoyed browsing all your yummy delights. Now that I know the Elba oven is capable of churning out such great stuff, I feel a tinge of excitement and motivation hehe... I've bookmarked your blog and will definitely come back to "curi" some of your recipes... can? (asking for your permission) hehe...

Kristie said...

Chloe mummy, sure u can add my blog, my pleasure :)

I've not been adding new recipes... need to jia you ;)

for this red bean bun, it's pan fried not baked in oven :)

but of cos, ur oven can also churn out yummy delights!