Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Raisins & Walnut Banana Cake

Love the golden brown top




Can you see the bits of bananas and walnuts inside?

I am such a banana cake person, so when the cake was out of the oven, I couldn't resist the smell and sliced a piece to devour right away! One slice sent me to heaven... up, up and away! But I came right back down again to devour more pieces hhehehe... My hubby and sis loves this too.

This is my favourite all-time recipe for Banana Cake, you can add in raisins, walnuts, almonds as optional ingredients, I always try to include them as I love raisins and the crunchy bits of walnuts inside the cake. You can also add cinnamon powder, mixed spice for more aroma! The possibilities are endless! And I am sharing it with you :)

The last time I baked it was a few years back, in 2006! Over the years, been busy with work and the arrival of Jayden so no time to really get inspiration to bake!

You must be happy to bake, a happy baker results in a happy bake :)

Since recently the baking bug has returned, I decided to dive into all my recipe books and surf for some as well to bake and make and share with you guys.

Ultimate Banana Cake Recipe

Ingredients:
150g butter
125g sugar
3 eggs, beaten
3 ripe bananas, mashed
75g toasted chopped walnuts
Handful of raisins

Sift:
250g wholemeal flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
1/2 tsp mixed spice

1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius
2. Line and grease bottom of 9-inch tin
3. Cream butter and sugar till creamy
4. Add eggs gradually
5. Stir in mashed bananas, blend well
6. Fold in sifted ingredients and combine
7. Stir in walnuts
8. Pour into prepared tin and sprinkle raisins on top of mixture
9. Bake for 35-45 minutes or till skewer inserted into centre of cake comes out clean.

10 comments:

Fussy mum said...

Hi Kristie, what a nice blog u have here! Your banana cake looks good and yeah, really can see bits of bananas and walnuts inside...yummy! :)

Adrine said...

Hello. I've also recently started baking again. I bought a bigger oven about 3 weeks back and have been baking few times a week. I like trying out new stuff, so I was thrilled when I saw this new blog of yours !!! :)

The banana cake looks awesome. I'll definately add it to my list of "recipes to try out". One question tho - how long do I need to toast the walnuts?

parasite-wife said...

u know i have never tried baking, cause i'm kind of lazy person! ha! but i love trying out those yummy cakes other people make! ha!

nice blog here! and keep up ur good work!

Kristie said...

thanks fussy mum!

adrine, we have the same hobby now!!! now instead of going out shopping, i prefer to bury myself in the kitchen and churn out stuffs :)

i am also thinking of getting an oven, mind to share which oven did you get and how much?

For toasting nutes, just heat up a pan on the stove without oil on low fire, and place nuts in pan, as it toasts, you can smell it, that's a perfect sign to know when it's toasted. I think it'll take only a few minutes. Alternatively, you could place nuts on a foil and put it in the oven to toast for 5 minutes. Good luck dear!

parasite wife, thanks dear! yes eating ppl's bakes is a good idea too hehe :)

Kristie said...

sorry adrine, spelling error.. it's toasting nuts :p

Adrine said...

Oooh, yes. I enjoy being in the kitchen more than shopping these days. And when I'm out shopping, I'm always drawn to the baking section!

I got the Faber 40L electric oven at RM399. No regrets. It comes with a fan so the heat is pretty even. Only downside is that it's a little bulky so it takes up quite a lot kitchen space.

Thanks for the roasting nuts tip!

Mummy Zuan said...

this blog is nice...wonder if i will try to bake anythng soon...(i am a bit useless in cooking but i love to try something new..)

Kristie said...

andrine, same here! i think one of these days, i am bound to bump into u at one of the baking aisles :)

I am also thinking of getting an oven, but dont know which one to get! Havent started hunting for one too...

welcome on the nuts tips :)

mummyzuan, do try out if u are in the mood :)

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

Drooling..........:-)Courier a piece of the cake, can ar? Hehe...

I have some leftover banana in the fridge, your recipe give me some idea what i will do with it. Thanks!

Kristie said...

joanne, can... u come pick up from me lah, better hehe then i can hug sarah too!

sure joanne, have fun baking ya!