Saturday, May 16, 2009

Azuki Beans

Azuki beans also known as red beans to most people is very common in Malaysia, we have it in desserts and even day to day cooking in meals at times.

I never thought I would make my own read bean paste. The recipe was pretty straightforward but it was pretty tedious standing over the stove to keep stirring, the end product was yummy and pleasing though :) If you are wondering where do I find the time to make this? haha... I actually sat Jayden in a highchair together with me in the kitchen and watched over the pot and entertained him in between! I think it took me almost 2 hours...

To make red bean paste, there are 2 types, either the smooth or the chunky ones. I chose to make the chunky ones as I like some bite into it. You can get the smooth red bean paste recipe from here too.




Look at the brilliant colours!

End product, I did the chunky red bean paste

Recipe adapted from here.

For the Chunky Azuki Bean Pasteつぶしあん (Tsubushi-An)

Ingredients:

1 cup azuki beans
1 cup granulated sugar, adjust according to your taste
pinch of salt

1. Wash the azuki beans and place in a large pot filled with water. Bring to a boil over high heat, drain, and discard the water.

2. Add about 3 cups of water to a pot containing the par-boiled azuki beans. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium, cover the pot, and simmer the azuki beans until soft, approximately 45 minutes to 1 1/4 hours. The water should be almost completely absorbed by the time the beans are done. Add water as needed while simmering to prevent the beans from scorching. (I had to add more water constantly cos it took for a while before the beans got soft, don't cook till dry, leave a bit of moisture as the red beans will continue to soak up the liquid)

3. Add the sugar, stirring gently until the azuki bean paste is heated through and glossy. Season with a pinch of salt and mix well. The paste should be thick with some whole and half-crushed azuki beans. (After adding sugar, paste should be moist with a bit of liquid, I had to add more water and keep stirring. I continued to mash the mixture as I wanted a combination of smooth and chunky paste)

The end product should be moist because after cooking, the mixture will continue to absorb any liquid. It should still be 'mashy' and easy to work with. Will blog soon about what I've made with this!

2 comments:

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

Red Beans also known as Azuki Beans. Thanks for the info. Now only I know about it.

The beans has a very nice colour in the second pic, you were soaking the beans?

Kristie said...

Yes Joanne, it's the japanese names for red beans which we refer to!

I was washing the red beans, ready to boil them :)